Denver Colorado Property Tax Attorney Downey & Associates oilgastaxIf your company is an owner or an operator of any oil and gas leaseholds or lands, you are required to file a declaration with the county assessor on a prescribed form by April 15 of every year showing the number of barrels of oil or the quantity of gas measured, sold or transported from the property during the preceding year. Failing to file the required declaration timely may likely cause the valuation of your production to be inaccurate. In this situation the county assessor may impose a late filing penalty and will assign a value based on the best information available, often resulting in a value much higher than the actual production.

Do you need to appeal an oil and gas property valuation? Contact our experienced Denver oil and gas tax attorney today by calling 303-813-1111 or sending us an e-mail.

Appealing Oil and Gas Property Taxes

If you disagree with the value assigned by the assessor, you have the right to file a protest with the county assessor’s office. The county assessor will review the protest. If the protest is denied, you can appeal to the County Board of Equalization. If, after hearing, the board’s decision is unacceptable, you can pursue your third level of appeal by filing a petition with the Board of Assessment Appeals, filing a civil complaint in district court or submitting the dispute to binding arbitration.

In these types of cases, you need a lawyer who is intimately familiar with the unique administrative process and who deals with the nuances of these cases on a regular basis. Attorney Tom Downey has served as counsel in a number of precedent-setting property tax cases, and has worked closely with assessors, appraisers and public officials to propose and draft legislation and procedural rules to streamline the tax appeal process.

If you have missed the deadline for filing a protest, you may still have the ability to file abatement. Contact us to learn more about your options.

Contact Our Englewood Property Tax Attorney

If you would like to appeal your oil and gas tax assessment, contact the experienced attorneys at Downey & Associates, PC. From our law offices in Englewood, we serve clients throughout Colorado, including the Greater Denver area, Colorado Springs and Fort Collins, and the mountain and rural counties as well. Call us today at 303-813-1111 or send us an e-mail.